Book Review: Lock & Mori

Lock & Mori
Published By: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: September 15, 2015
Page Count: 256
Source: ARC Kindly Provided by Edelweiss
Audience: Young Adult - Mystery/Thriller

Lock & Mori is a modern spin on Sherlock Holmes with much darker edges than the original. 

James "Mori" Moriarty lurks on the edges of her high school. After watching her mother succumb to an illness, Mori has lost touch with her friends and wades through every day dreading the moment when she has to go home. Since her mother's death things haven't been great. Her father drinks too much and his verbal barbs often end in bruises for her three little younger brothers. Mori feels like every evening is spent in  war zone trying to keep those she loves alive. She's frayed around the edges until a chance meeting with Sherlock Holmes gives her a mystery to solve.

Sherlock "Lock" Holmes is a reclusive genius who would rather spend his time in the lab in the school's basement than interacting with his peers. Like his inspiration, Lock is observant and brilliant. A murder in the park inspires him to begin a game with Mori to see who can find the killer faster.

The two of these make an unlikely pair of friends and even more unlikely partners in crime solving. They use their minds to track down clues and unmask a killer. I can't speak too much on the plot, but it's awesome. The dark twisty bits had my mouth dropping open and the killer came as a slight shock. I had an inkling, but was convinced there was no way I could be right.

It was also a treat to see Mycroft and Watson make appearances. Mycroft was one of my favorite parts of the novel.

If you're looking for a dark mystery than this is one that should make your Fall TBR list. It's one of my 2015 favorites.


One Last Gripe: There was one moment towards the end that hurt my heart. It seemed unnecessary and senseless. You'll know what I mean when you read it.

Favorite Thing About This Book: The complex relationship between Lock and Mori

First Sentence: I wore a hat with a feather plume the first time I met Sherlock Holmes.

Favorite Character: Mori

Least Favorite Character: Mori's Dad - I can't stomach people who abuse their kids



In modern-day London, two brilliant high school students, one Sherlock Holmes and a Miss James "Mori" Moriarty, meet. A murder will bring them together. The truth very well might drive them apart.

Before they were mortal enemies, they were much more.

FACT: Someone has been murdered in London's Regent's Park. The police have no leads.

FACT: Miss James "Mori"Moriarty and Sherlock "Lock" Holmes should be hitting the books on a school night. Instead, they are out crashing a crime scene.

FACT: Lock has challenged Mori to solve the case before he does. Challenge accepted.

FACT: Despite agreeing to Lock's one rule--they must share every clue with each other--Mori is keeping secrets.

OBSERVATION: Sometimes you can't trust the people closest to you with matters of the heart. And after this case, Mori may never trust Lock again.


Comments

  1. I am DYING to get my hands on a copy of Lock and Mori! AND EEKS. This review- and it's un-put-downable status- has totally upped my need for it :D Great review!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sherlock retellings, and it sounds like this one really captures a different kind of relationship between these two characters. Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was good, but a LOT darker than I expected. Hurt my heart so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read, or watched, anything Sherlock, so I'm afraid I would be completely lost!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sherlock retellings, so I'm excited to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having this Sherlock and Watson be a male/female team is a plus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!