Book Review: Death Wish


24873066


Death Wish (Ceruleans Book 1)
Author: Megan Tayte
Published By: Heaven Afire
Publication Date: 7 February 2015
Page Count: 305
Buy it on Amazon
Source: e-book provided by author
Audience: Young Adult Paranormal

I was intrigued by this story as soon as I read the synopsis sent by the author, Megan Tayte.  I have always loved paranormal reads.  Anything that involves just a little bit of magic, a touch of the unknown, and I am hooked.  Death Wish has just that - a touch of the paranormal, of magic, and I enjoyed reading every page of it.  

Death Wish is about 17-year-old Scarlett, a girl who has recently lost her sister and feels lost herself, needing answers.  She travels to the little town where the tragedy happened and searches for answers. She meets many people during her search, becoming friends with several, and even embarking on a summer romance.  Soon it's less a search for answers, and more a discovery and finding of herself. Strange things begin to happen, though, creating even more questions.  Scarlett must decide what is more important, finding the answers or saving and holding onto the life she has come to love with the people she loves.

I love the storyline, the plot of this book.  Megan Tayte does an amazing job of creating a beautiful place with a heart-wrenching story.  She has created such memorable characters and I found myself laughing, smiling, and sometimes crying right along with them.  Her imagery is brilliant and I would love to visit the village or town where the book was set, see the coves and beaches, even meet the people.

Though the book has some magic and paranormal touches to it, it is less about that and more about Scarlett's journey through her grief at losing her sister.  It's not necessarily about finding the answers to Sienna's death as it is about Scarlett finding herself within that grief, coming out of her shell and no longer living in the shadow of her family.  I loved going through that journey of self discovery with Scarlett and seeing her character blossom even under such horrible circumstances.

I love the British terminology and slang throughout, though I must admit that if I had not lived in the UK for the last year and a half, I wouldn't have understood a lot of it.

I am definitely looking forward to reading the continuing stories of Scarlett and her friends and finding out what happens along her quest for answers.


One Last Thought: The only thing that kept me from giving this story a 5 birdie rating is the fact that I feel it took too long to get to the magic and answers bit.  My page numbers don't match up with the actual page count, possibly because of the e-reader I use, but it was within the last 20-30 pages that Scarlett figured out her power.  I know there are four more books in the series and there needed to be a build up to it, but for most of the book it was more a teen romance and a 'finding yourself' story.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just wanted a bit more of the paranormal earlier on.

Favorite Thing About this Book: I truly just enjoyed the story.  Again, it was very well written, Megan Tayte is a very talented author.

First Sentence: Waves, swirling, surging, seething - a raging melange of foam and salt and inky water biting at me, pulling at me, thrusting upon me a solitary invitation: Death.

Favorite Character: Scarlett

Least Favorite Character: Hugo


IN SEARCH OF THE MEANING OF DEATH, SHE’LL FIND THE MEANING OF LIFE.

The Ceruleans: mere mortals infused with power over life and death. Five books; one question: If the might of the heavens were in your hands, would you be sinner or saint?

Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Blake is haunted by death. Her estranged sister has made the ultimate dramatic exit. Running away from school, joining a surfing fraternity, partying hard: that sounds like Sienna. But suicide? It makes no sense.

Following in her sister’s footsteps, Scarlett comes to an isolated English cove with grand plans to uncover the truth. Alone. But she hasn’t reckoned on meeting two boys who are determined to help her. Luke: the blue-eyed surfer who’ll see the real Scarlett, who’ll challenge her, who’ll save her. And Jude: the elusive drifter with a knack for turning up whenever Scarlett’s in need.

As Scarlett’s quest for the truth unravels, so too does her grip on reality as she’s always known it. Because there’s something strange going on in this little cove. A dead magpie circles the skies. A dead deer watches from the undergrowth. Hands glow with light. Warmth. Power.

What transpires is a summer of discovery. Of what it means to conquer fear. To fall in love. To choose life. To choose death.

To believe the impossible. 





Comments