Book Review: Twilight

Twilight
Published By: Little, Brown and Company
Publication Date: October 2005
Page Count: 498
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal

I recently began a reread of this series and decided it was time we had reviews on Reading Lark. I first read these books in November of 2007, but since that time I have reread them countless times. I'll be the first to admit that the writing isn't the most amazing I've ever seen and there are some flaws, but there was something magical and addicting about Twilight. My passion for reading was rekindled with this novel. I had forgotten what it meant to read for pleasure. My college years and graduate school had been saturated with so much nonfiction reading that I wanted to spend my free time outside of texts of any variety. On a whim, I decided to give this a try because I have always had a fondness for vampires. Within a week, I had devoured the first three books and then had to wait for Breaking Dawn to be released. The wait was excruciating. Never has a book captured my mind and heart so completely. Twilight also allowed me to make some amazing friends (including all of the other Larks).

I think the thing that truly sucked me so deeply into this world was the setting and the characters. Forks and La Push are truly magical places. Meyer does a beautiful job of capturing the essence of these places with her words. I was so enamored that I when I discovered these locations really existed, I knew I had to visit. I have been fortunate enough to make numerous trips to the land of the Cullens and the Pack. I also was able to life a dream when my husband was relocated to Seattle for two years. I loved the experience of living in the same region where my favorite characters lived. Forks and La Push are the sorts of places where magic and the supernatural could truly walk among us. Both the fictional version and the real places will always hold a special place in my heart.

I also think that Bella's narration is one of the things that drew me into the series. While I didn't always enjoy Bella - her whining drove me nuts - I did like that the way she is written allows the reader to step into her shoes. You live the story through her eyes and because she's an average girl, it feels like maybe that magic could happen to you too. I know this was intentional on Meyer's part, but I have to give her credit for the clever ploy. It was too easy to be mesmerized by Edward when you felt like he was talking directly to you.

In addition, I adore the Cullens. I found things to like about each one of them - even Rosalie. My favorite Cullen is Emmett. There is something about his loud, playful nature that reminds me of my husband. I wish that there was more of him in this novel. I did enjoy getting bits and pieces of his backstory as Edward gave Bella more details about his family.

My biggest complaint with Twilight is the conflict. I honestly didn't feel like there was much tension throughout the novel. The epic showdown with James seemed anti-climatic. I honestly think if I hadn't been so smitten with the Cullens that I might not have been wowed by Twilight. I certainly don't think that I would have been in such a hurry to read the other novels. I'm really glad I did though because Eclipse was well worth the wait and is still my favorite of the series. I love rereading this series when real life gets stressful and hectic. This is my happy place.


One Last Gripe: I felt like the love between Edward and Bella happened a little too quickly and easily. It also worried me that Bella didn't seem to have a sense of self outside of her relationship with Edward. He became everything to her and that is never healthy.

My Favorite Things About This Book: The setting and the Cullens

First Sentence: I'd never given much thought to how I would die - though I'd had reason enough in the last few months - but even if I had, I would not have imagined it like this.

Favorite Character: Emmett, but I will admit that it was Edward the first few times I read this one

Least Favorite Character: James



When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

What Bella doesn't realize is the closer she gets to him, the more she is putting herself and those around her at risk. And, it might be too late to turn back....

Deeply seductive and extraordinarily suspenseful, Twilight will have readers riveted right until the very last page is turned.

Comments

  1. Goodness I thought everyone had read all these books. I read this one but have yet to devour the rest. I gave it 4* http://booketta.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/i-read-twilight.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure most people have read this one. My first read was in my pre-blog days so I thought I'd write up reviews as I was rereading. :)

      Delete
  2. Awe...with the books apparently over as well as the movies...this is already starting to feel nostalgic, isn't it?! Loved your thoughts on this my friend...there were SO many positive things that came out of Twilight! I LOVED the story...enough that it also brought me back to enjoyable reading! Getting caught up in all the hoopla as the movies were being released (I read the books the for first time after the last book came out)...and best of all...the AMAZING friends I made who share this passion! I love that you are reviewing the Twilight books for our blog...considering, at its core, it brought us all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the review. I have to admit - writing this one was intimidating. It was hard to explain why this series means so much to me.

      Delete
  3. "Magical and addicting" is a good way to describe this series. My mom got me hooked on them, and I'm an unapologetic fan - not to say that there are no problems with Bella and Edward's relationship, but they do so nicely capture the feeling of falling in love for the first time as a young person.

    I'm still in love with Carlisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - there are problems with the relationship, but it does capture the essence of first love so well. Thanks for checking out my review.

      Delete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!