Book Review: Losing Lila


Losing Lila (Lila #2)
Published By: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: August 2012
Page Count: 322
Buy it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble
Source: Purchased by Reviewer
Audience: Young Adult - Paranormal, Fantasy

Losing Lila follows on very quickly from the events of Hunting Lila. I won't say much about the plot, as I don't want to spoil Hunting Lila for anyone. I was most pleased though that this is a two book series, more or less. There are a couple of novellas around about characters involved in the books, but at this point after two reads, the story could be over for me. I am pleased about that because I don't think it would have worked as well over three books, and it is refreshing to see that the story hasn't been strung out at all.

I appreciate how well rounded the characters are in this series. Ancillary characters like Suki (who is the best, in a very Alice Cullen sort of way) are given great supporting roles, good dialogue and an interesting back story. This makes me want to read some of the novellas, just so I can learn more of the back stories. I feel satisfied in the journey that Lila and her family made over the two books, and while I like those characters, I don't feel the need to find out more about them particularly. The development of several characters, including Jack, was interesting, and I liked how some powers were developed. 

As is inevitable when there is a couple in a YA book, there did come a time when Lila and Alex faced an obstacle, but unusually it was resolved quite quickly following some sensible talking with Suki. I really thought "here we go then" when the drama started and was glad that Lila and Alex got back on track quickly.  

Overall, this was a good read, but suffered slightly from my reading it in the middle of a house move and getting a new puppy! It wasn't as engaging as Hunting Lila, but it was entertaining enough and would be worth a read. 



Alex and Lila are on the run, desperately trying to stay one step ahead of the Unit, which is somehow tracking their every move. While Alex is determined to keep Lila safe and her ability secret at any cost, Lila's only thought is of finding a way back to California so she can rescue her brother and mother from the military base where they're being held. Struggling to control both her growing power and her deepening feelings for Alex, Lila decides the time has finally come to stop running and start fighting. Together with Alex, Demos, and the others she's come to think of as family, Lila plans not only to save her brother and mum, but also to completely destroy the Unit and everything it stands for. But the plan requires Lila to return to California alone, and to make friends with the enemy - and in doing so, she risks losing everything: Alex, her family… even her life.

Comments

  1. Well, Jen, this is interesting
    I really want to read this series since i have two of the novellas but I don't want to read them just yet
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!