Book Review: Perception

Perception (Tigers' Eye Trilogy #1)
Published By: Heather Cashman
Publication Date: June 2011
Page Count: 296
Source: Kindly Provided by Author
Audience: Young Adult - Dystopian, Fantasy

I don't think I would have picked this one up on my own. Dystopian novels aren't always my cup of tea and the cover is somewhat boring, but the author approached me about it and I decided to give it a try. I found that Perception is one of those Indie novels that has a lot of potential and was well worth my time.

Perception is set in the distant future in a time where people have mutations that link them to an animal counterpart. I found this element of the novel to be fascinating. The main character, Ana, is linked to a tiger named Rijan. The two females work together to navigate the often treacherous social current alongside their brothers. I found both Ardana and Rijan to be likable and strong. In some ways, Ana channels Katniss; I loved seeing Anas loyalty to her brother, Kade, and her fierce determination. This story is not a Hunger Games repeat by any means, but I couldn't help drawing some comparisons between the two works.

In addition to strong female characters, the political turmoil adds a layer of conflict that provided some intriguing tension. I would not want to trade places with Ana - in spite of how much I enjoyed reading her  story.

Furthermore, Heather Cashman's writing flows well. She is a strong Indie writer who I would read again without hesitation. I think the creative world she weaves is one many will enjoy - particularly fans of high fantasy.

My biggest complaint with this one is it took me a little while to settle into the story. Cashman drops the reader immediately into the action. The fast paced momentum made this a quick read for me, but it was slightly confusing trying to figure out this world with little explanation.


One Last Gripe: I am not a high fantasy reader so this one was difficult for me at times - especially since I wasn't expecting those elements. It is a true case of "It's not you, it's me". 

My Favorite Thing About This Book: I loved learning about the various ingenium.

First Sentence: Be careful.

Favorite Character: Rijan

Least Favorite Character: Maran



Your perception will sharpen once you see through a tiger's eyes.
More than five hundred years after the apocalypse, the survivors of off-grid genetic experimentation have refined their mixed DNA to the point that humans and their animal counterparts share physical and mental links. Varying species have divided into districts, living in a tenuous peace under the President of Calem.

Ardana and her tiger ingenium Rijan leave their life of exile and abuse in the Outskirts, setting out with their twin brothers to redeem themselves and become citizens of the Center. But shedding their past isn't as easy as they had hoped. When the system that shunned them becomes embroiled in political conflict and treachery, their unique abilities and experiences from the Outskirts make them invaluable to every faction. The runaways become pawns to friends as well as enemies, and with every step it becomes more difficult to tell which is which.

Comments