Book Review: Never Cry Werewolf

Never Cry Werewolf 
Published By: HarperTeen
Publication Date: September 2009
Page Count: 216
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Source: Library
Audience: YA - Paranormal


Never Cry Werewolf is a quick read. It was a cute, fun story, but didn't really add anything new to the werewolf myth. It's a pretty straight forward tale about a camp for troubled teens that happens to have a werewolf camper. 


The main character, Shelby, has had a few run ins with her parents - mainly about boys - so they've sent her off to summer camp to try and help her find her way back to the path of the straight and narrow. Unfortunately, Shelby isn't really down with the summer itinerary and finds herself aching to escape. However, meeting Austin Bridges III, just might make the whole camp experience a bit more bearable.


Overall, this was an okay read, but I wish that I had gotten to know the characters a bit more. There also wasn't a lot of mystery or intrigue with this one. It was pretty easy to figure out the plot twists. I also just didn't get sucked into Shelby and Austin's romance. Davis' writing isn't bad, but now that I have read more of her work, I don't think this book does her justice. All of these elements just made the book mediocre for me. If you're looking for something by Heather Davis with a bit more depth - I'd suggest opting to read Wherever You Go instead.



One Last Gripe: I wish Shelby has been a bit more likable. She was annoying most of the time.

My Favorite Thing About This Book: I liked that this was a quick read. It was great for a time when I just wanted something fluffy after reading some pretty serious stuff. 

First Sentence: Moonlight has special powers.

Favorite Character: Austin

Least Favorite Character: Shelby



Moonlight can totally change your life. And it all starts so simply. You. Him. The moon. You’re toast.
Okay, so maybe Shelby has made a few mistakes with boys lately. But her stepmother totally overreacts when she packs Shelby off to brat camp. Suddenly, it’s good-bye, prom dress; hello, hiking boots.
Things start looking up, though, when Shelby meets fellow camper (and son of a rock star!) Austin Bridges III. But soon she realizes there’s more to Austin than crush material—his family has a dark secret, and he wants Shelby’s help guarding it. . . .

Comments

  1. Sounds like a quick, fun read. I think I'll give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!