Book Review: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Published by Quirk Books
Release Date June 2011
Audience: Young Adult
Source: Owned by Reviewer
Buy it on Amazon or on IndieBound



Yet another book I judged by its cover. I picked up Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs, based on its cover. Oh, and peculiar children? I'm all over that, seeing as how I have two of them. The pretty, although cute in a creepy way, girl on the cover promised an intriguing read with a factor of nostalgic ghost stories. The book is simply one of the coolest books I've seen in awhile. From the page layouts to all the vintage creepy photos, there was no detail overlooked in the making of this book. I was not disappointed. Not only did I read and enjoy this book, it is one of very few I passed on to my peculiar children to read.

At sixteen years old, Jacob finds himself working in a Smart Aid in Florida with no real future in sight. He spends time with his eccentric Grandpa Portland who tells him stories of fighting monsters and of a mysterious orphanage with peculiar children. Jacob has loved his Grandpa Portland's stories all his life, but in a tragic and mysterious turn, Jacob discovers his dying grandfather and what seems to be one of Grandpa Portland's monsters.

Jacob sets out to a mysterious island to find out more about his Grandpa Portland and the place he came from, Miss Pergerine's Home for Peculiar Children. In Jacob's attempt to discover his Grandpa Portland's past, he finds himself face to face with not only Miss Peregrine but also her Peculiar Children and they are more mysterious than Jacob could have imagined.

I really enjoyed this book. Adventure shrouded in mystery with a side of supernatural is my favorite. There were some places in the book that had pacing problems, but the element of the cool vintage pictures trumped all of the things I was unsure of. If you have middle grade kids that are adventurous readers, you should put this one on their nightstands. I do need to warn any readers that this one ends in a cliffhanger, but I can't wait to see what happens next!



Summary of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children from Goodreads:

A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.
It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.




Comments

  1. This is a book that I've been eyeing for a while. I love the title and cover so much, but I just haven't purchased it yet. :) Sounds like an interesting read though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear this is appropriate for middle school. I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been one of the most popular books this year for sure. I am going to try it next year. And I can see why you would buy from the cover, that and the title are mesmorizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay you have really made me curious with this review. Definitely going on my TBR list! It is certainly a haunting cover...

    Sharing a reader's resource: The Book Report is a radio show with reviews, author interviews and readings - lots of fun and interesting. Check out http://bookreportradio.com for station list and times of broadcast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely one I want to read! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished this book last night and I am depressed that I am finished. It for sure a great read. I am so glad I bought it. I will be passing this one around.
    I am ready for the second book. I believe there is one in the making and I also hear there is a movie to be made.
    This is a must read

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!