Book Review: A Beautiful Dark

A Beautiful Dark
By: Jocelyn Davies
Published By: HarperTeen
Page Count: 320
Buy it at Amazon or IndieBound
Source: Provided by Publisher via NetGalley
Audience: Young Adult


A beautifully written page turner full of all the things that make YA great - first loves, betrayal, supernatural beings, & lovable characters - this one is a fall must read....


September is shaping up to be an amazing release month for the world of YA fiction and HarperTeen seems to be poised to captivate audiences with their paranormal line up. A Beautiful Dark is one of the most well written and engaging novels that I have read in awhile. It is easily one of the best YA books I have read this year. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this one; the writing was spot on, the plot was well paced and intriguing, and the characters have found a place in my favorites list. I loved spending time in this world and was frustrated when I got to the last period. I wasn't ready to let go of these characters and their stories.

I went into this read knowing that it was paranormal and having a hunch about what types of beings filled the pages, but I didn't know for sure. I loved watching the plot unfold in an authentic way so I decided that for my review I wasn't going to discuss the supernatural aspects of the book. I feel that these are best left for the reader to discover on their own. However, I will say that I don't typically enjoy books in this area, but I loved the direction this book takes. I thought it was unique to other books in the same area that I have read in the past.


The characters really make this story something great. I loved them all. As a reader, I wanted to spend more time with each one and understand their lives. Even though the story mainly revolves around Skye, Asher, and Devin, I wanted to spend time with the minor characters as well. Cassie, Skye's best friend, kept me giggling and I loved that Ian was always ready with a latte in hand. Great characters often make a read for me and Davies did a nice job of breathing life into her characters. The character interactions and dialogue were some of the best I have seen in YA fiction. Also, female fans will be excited to see two main love interests. I have to say that I prefer Asher, but I am interested to see who others will choose.


I also loved the setting for this one; it was perfect for the plot. Davies also writes with so much sensory detail that you can actually feel the chill in the Colorado air as you read each page. You might want to have a blanket and some hot chocolate handy for this one.


However, be warned that this one ends in a MAJOR cliffhanger. I immediately put my Kindle down, turned to my husband, and asked in horror why authors do this to us. I have no idea how I am going to wait until the next book is released. For those of you who can't handle cliffhangers - be sure to buy this in September - but you may want to wait until the entire trilogy hits shelves. My frustration level with things being up in the air is still high - even several hours after finishing.




One Last Gripe: All the loose ends!!! I know they will be addressed in other books, but I am so anxious to read more NOW.


My Favorite Thing About This Book: The characters


First Sentence: The air had a brutal edge to it as I stood outside of Love the Bean, the local free-trade coffee shop. (This is from an ARC edition and may change with publication.)


Favorite Characters: Skye, Cassie


Least Favorite Character: Raven




On the night of Skye’s seventeenth birthday, she meets two enigmatic strangers. Complete opposites—like fire and ice—Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair and aloof. Their sudden appearance sends Skye’s life into a tailspin. She has no idea what they want, or why they seem to follow her every move—only that their presence coincides with a flurry of strange events. Soon she begins to doubt not just the identity of the two boys, but also the truth about her own past.

In the dead of a bitingly cold Colorado winter, Skye finds herself coming to terms with the impossible secret that threatens to shatter her world. Torn between Asher, who she can’t help falling for, and Devin, who she can’t stay away from, the consequences of Skye’s choice will reach further than the three of them could ever imagine.

A Beautiful Dark is the first book in a captivating trilogy by debut author Jocelyn Davies.




Comments

  1. I loved this book and the writing! I must say so far I'm team Asher and can't wait to find what happens next! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I really love this book cover! It's quite beautiful and captivating.

    Also, I’m a new follower— wonderful blog! Stop by my blog and follow me too? :) http://rachelbrookswrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @SupaGurlbooks: I hope you love it as much as I did. It's an amazing read.

    @Frosy: I agree - Team Asher all the way.

    @Rachel Brooks: I agree - the cover is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by Reading Lark. I returned the favor and I'm now following your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that cliffhanger!! It KILLED me... Seriously, how could the story have ended there? And I am not the most patient person so having to wait to see what happens it not my idea of fun.
    But I did end up enjoying this book a whole lot. It was just what I was looking for to take me away from the hot summer days we have been having.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We love your comments!